The Iceman is the granddaddy of the US cross country races. Since it’s late (well, technically early) and I’ve been going since 5:45am, I’m tired. That means I’m going to keep this short. I read and heard some other predictions out there for Saturday’s race in cold Michigan.
Since starting Mountain Bike Radio in April, I’ve been paying more attention to what’s going on out in the racing scene, so I’m getting there. That does not mean I’m pro. These predictions are going off of the current registration list and is limited to the pros. They’ll probably be off, but I’ll try at the top 10. If there is a glaring miss, well, sorry. The top 50 racers of this thing are really fast and you could probably argue the top 15 have a shot to win on any given day.
Men (in placing order)
- Brian Matter - Just hard to bet against him in this one. 1st in 2010, 4th in 2011
- Mike Anderson - Finished 2nd ahead of Matter in a record fast 2012 Chequamegon 40
- Sam Schultz - Olympics! I have a feeling Matter and Anderson are going to use some tactics to duke it out and make the younger Schultz a tad behind.
- Mike Phillips - 4th at the 2012 Chequamegon 40 and 3rd at the 2012 Ore to Shore
- Christian Tanguy - 2nd overall in the NUE to Jeremiah Bishop and 4th at Ore to Shore. Had a great season and is rested up from all the 100’s
- Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski - I don’t think I need to say anything
- Jorden Wakeley - local Michigan guy who is knocking on the triple crown door with 5th at this year’s Ore to Shore
- Stephen Ettinger - 12th place at 2012 US Cross Country Nationals and 7th at the Marathon Nationals in September
- Drew Edsall - Host of “The Dirt with Drew Edsall.” Some good wins in 2012 at 50 and 100 miles, but I’m not sure the open two-track is his strength
- Tristan Schouten - 9th at the 2012 Chequamegon 40 and 7th at the 2012 Ore to Shore
Women’s (I don’t know this as well and don’t know the depth - and I’m not going to research it tonight….so I’ll stick with Top 5)
- Geogia Gould - She’s gotten in some good cyclocross results and seems to be rolling well.
- Erica Tingey - She rocked the Utah scene during the summer and recently finished 2nd in the duo-coed at the 6hrs in Frog Hollow. She’s ready.
- Chloe Woodruff - Chloe had a great summer in the Midwest - A win at the Ore to Shore and 5th at the Cheq 40. Got some recent racing in China and rested up.
- Heather Irmiger - She’s always there. Experienced and strong.
- Judy Freeman - Seemed to be back on track in August and beyond
You looking for Emily Batty. I think she’ll do top 10, but who knows where she is at after her collarbone injury in August. All these other women have been racing during that whole time.
We’ll see how it goes!
Above photo of Brian Matter in 2010 is taken from XXCMag.com